Monthly Archives: December 2011

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Mentioned in dispatches from IBM

A while back me and one of the directors at Holiday Extras where I work did a telephone interview with IBM arranged through Triton about the migration we did a while back from DB2 on HP-UX to DB2 on VM’s. It was an interesting experience and we did not have too many revisions and it is now published you can read it here.

Thats about the long and the short of this post, all that is left is to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and hope you dont get too many OOH calls.

Automated DB2 Reorganisation, Runstats and Rebinds – Version 2

A while back I did the first version of this code (can be found here). Over time I have been running this code on our production servers, it started out by working fine but sometimes it would over run and interfere with the morning batch, so a different solution was needed. In a previous article I discussed if it was better to let the included automated DB2 functionality take care of the maintenance of tables etc, or to create your own process that uses included stored procedures to identify the tables that need reorganising.

So this new version of the script will only work between certain times and only do offline reorganisations, but is still possible to just reorganise a single partition of a range partitioned table. The reason for the time restriction is to take a leaf from the included automated scripts having an offline maintenance window, and to stop the scripts that I have created before overrunning into the morning batch. The previous version of the reorganisation script attempted to be to “clever” and do an online reorg of non partitioned tables and an offline reorg of the partitions of the range partitioned tables. The problem with this is that capturing when the online reorgs have finished (as they are asynchronous), so that the table can have it statistics run so that it is not identified again by the SYSPROC.REORGCHK_TB_STATS stored procedure. Equally another issue is that you would have to reorganise the index’s on the tables that you have on-line reorganised as they would not have been done, where as an offline reorganisation also does the indexes at the same time.

So I made the decision to do all the reorganisations offline, followed by a runstats and a rebind. The main controlling stored procedure looks like:

 --This procedure is the wrapper for all the rest to tidy it up a little bit.
 --It will only run the reorgs tille the time specified, then will just finish the one
 --that it is on once the time has expired.
 --Similar thing for the runstats so that it does not impact on the running of the
 --morning loads.
 --Rebind the procedures so that they get new packages based on the updated statistics
 --from the reorg and runstats.
 --All Reorg done off line as this is what DB2 does.
 --MAINT_SCHEMA = The schema you wish to be looked at
 --REORG_FINISH_TIME = The time you wish the reorgs to run until
 --RUNSTATS_FINISH_TIME = The time you wish runstats to run till
 --DAY_TO_REMOVE = The number of day back you wish staging tables to be emptied from

 --Reorg the tables
 --Runstat the tables that have been reorged
 --Rebind the stored procedures to take advantage of the potentially new plans


This is now a three stage operation, the first two stages have time limits and so they will carry out new operations until this time limit is breached. What you have to realise here is that if the end time is 18:00:00 then it will start work right up until 17:59:59, this means if it picks up a particularly large reorganisation task at this last second then it will run till it has finished.

Some of the code especially the runstats stuff is quite a lot like the previous version just with a change for the time. As I cant upload a single .zip file as apparently it will be a security risk, and apparently a .sql file is also a risk please find a number of .doc files a the bottom of the article. Please just change the file extension and then you will be able to access them. I would very interested in having feedback from anyone who uses this code to see how you get on with it.

DISCLAIMER: As stated at the top of the blog use this code in your production systems at your own peril. I have tested and know it works on my systems, please test and check it works on yours properly as reorganising tables can potentially dangerous.